On tonight’s episode of Bar Rescue, Jon Taffer and crew are in Long Beach, California to try to rescue the Liquid Lounge. During the rescue, which went down in February, Jon decided to change the name of the Liquid Bar to the Tidal Bay Beach Bar. The owner decided to keep the new name and run with it.
When Rob McCarthy bought the former Liquid Lounge in 2010, the neighborhood bar thrived for the first three years, posting $650,000 in sales in 2013. But not long after that, Rob’s lack of experience, negligence and a bug infestation sent the bar into a downward spiral. With the Liquid Lounge in a state of disrepair, and more than $270,000 in debt, Rob made the call for help to Bar Rescue.
Before Bar Rescue
After Bar Rescue
A Closer Look
- In 2014, the Liquid Lounge was cited for serving alcohol contaminated with insects
- Here’s the Facebook page for Tidal Bay Beach Bar and the Facebook page announcing a Bar Rescue viewing party
- Here are the Facebook pages for head bartender Lola and her husband Dudley – both of whom appear in the episode.
- Here is the Facebook page for bartender Staci, who also appears in tonight’s episode.
- While bar owner Rob McCarthy does have a Facebook page, he hasn’t been active recently
- The bar is also active on other social media platforms, including Twitter and Instagram,
The Reviews Are In
When available, we like to scan sites like Yelp, and other online review properties to gauge how well bars featured on Bar Rescue are doing since Taffer’s makeover. In the case of the Tidal Bay Beach Bar, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.
- Lola has great personality and makes a great drink. Same cook and looking forward to going back for some food very soon
- Fun place with a nice vibe. Tidal Bay is a cool bar with good food and great pours. The patio is great on a sunny day.
- I have been coming to liquid lounge off and on for the last 10 – 15 years and it’s always been cool… is unpretentious everybody is real…
- If you’re in Long Beach, CA, visit Tidal Bay, See corkey bartender Trish who will make sure you have a good drink & enjoy our city.
- Love the staff, the service was great and the food was amazing! We’ll definitely be back!
- Can I leave negative stars? When I saw that bar rescue was at the bar I was hopeful that they would make some positive changes. They killed the bar. The Liquid Lounge was a great place to go, grab some food and great drink. While the staff is still wonderful the place is dead.
Images – YouTube/Tidal Bay Beach Bar/Google