This week on Bar Rescue, Jon Taffer and crew are in San Francisco, California to help out the owners of Sam Jordan’s Bar & Grill. The bar rescue happened in July, and Jon Taffer did not change the name of Sam Jordan’s during the makeover.
The bar was established in 1959 by African-American businessman, community leader, activist and boxer Sam Jordon. Today the bar is operated by Allen Jordan and Ruth Jordan – Sam’s children. Upon their father’s death in 2003, the bickering siblings inherited all of the family debt – which according to Ruth is a “whopping $500,000.”
The Call For Help
According to a local report, Ruth wrote Bar Rescue about four years ago asking for help.
According to Hoodline, Sam Jordan’s underwent a “massive transformation” over the Fourth of July weekend:
The 10-day renovation process resulted in a darker, more modern interior, with marble walls covered in framed photos that showcase the history of the bar. New barstools and tables, complete with customized table tents displaying the food menu, have been added, as have three large flat-screen televisions for sports enthusiasts.
Taffer’s crew also installed a new DJ booth in the back of the bar.
A Closer Look
- Here’s where you’ll find Sam Jordan’s Bar And Grill Facebook page. There’s also a second active Facebook page.
- You can check out Ruth Jordan’s Facebook page here.
- Here’s the Facebook page for Tiffani Green, A bartender who appears in the episode.
- Here’s the Facebook page for Vikki Johnson, another bartender who appears in the episode.
- For background on the bar, and more information on the bar rescue, check out this item published by the Hoodline, a local source of news and information.
- In 2013, Sam Jordon’s Bar was officially designated a San Francisco historic landmark.
- The bar is holding a viewing party the night the episode airs on Spike
The Reviews Are In
This is the part of our episode primer where we take a look at online reviews since the rescue. Over at Yelp, only a couple of online reviews have been posted since the makeover in July, and both are positive.
- This rating is for dinner since I’ve only been here around dinner time. And I gotta say that even though I like the drinks and that’s what I’d expect to be the speciality, the food is very delicious here. I’ve had the fried chicken, ribs, and corn wheels and I would recommend those to anyone trying to decide what to order.
- Bayview is under rated. Why do San Franciscans avoid a neighborhood with culture and flavor? Come to this place and get amazing cocktails with a side of great food! Treasure took great care of us.
“Gettin’ Jigger With It” – Episode Promo Videos
Family Turmoil Leaves Bar $500,000 In Debt
Vic Vegas & Derrick Turner Investigate Bar
Images – YouTube/Google