It’s not exactly the ugly sibling, but while everyone was paying attention to Krispy Kreme’s debut of their new Nutty Cocoa Ring Donut with Nutella yesterday, the brand was quietly releasing a second Nutella-themed donut – the Chocolate Hazelnut Kreme Donut.
Story continues below
The Chocolate Hazelnut Kreme Donut is a yeast donut filled with a chocolate hazelnut Kreme, dipped in Nutella and topped with crushed candied hazelnuts, plus a drizzle of both chocolate and white icing.
Despite the low-profile launch, on a personal note, I find the Chocolate Hazelnut Kreme Donut somewhat more appealing on several levels, not the least of which is the fact that it sports a chocolate hazelnut Kreme filling.
Let’s take a look at the tale of the tape:
- Serving Size: Chocolate Hazelnut Kreme Donut: (89g)
- Serving Size: Nutty Cocoa Ring Donut: (60g)
- Calories – Chocolate Hazelnut Kreme Donut: 390 ( From Fat – 220)
- Calories – Nutty Cocoa Ring Donut: 270 (From Fat – 150)
- Sugar – Chocolate Hazelnut Kreme Donut: 23g (Carbs – 40g)
- Sugar – Nutty Cocoa Ring Donut: 14g (Carbs – 26g)
It’s pretty clear, the Chocolate Hazelnut Kreme Donut is the winner on paper. But which of these Nutella-themed donuts wins on taste? Let us know if you put this duo to the taste test in the comments section below.
Incidentally, Krispy Kreme has a special page set up where you can find a list of participating shops offering the new Nutella-themed treat.
The new Chocolate Hazelnut Kreme Donut is only available for a limited time at select locations.
Image – Krispy Kreme