This week on Shark Tank, Six Foods founders and former Harvard University classmates Laura D’Asaro and Rose Wang look to bait the Sharks with their new Chirps Chips, which are made with cricket flour. A third founding member, Meryl Natow does not make an appearance during the pitch.
Story continues below
Chirps Chips ultimately became a reality after Laura D’Asaro was tempted to eat a fried caterpillar during a study trip in Tanzania. For Laura, it was love at first bite, and with her two college roommates, the trio set out to get Americans excited about eating bugs. In May 2014, Laura, Rose and Meryl introduced the world to Chirps cricket chips via one of the most successful Kickstarter campaigns ever. Since then, they’ve been on a mission to spread the buzz about Chirps.
Feeding The Sharks
Laura and Rose face five hungry Sharks: Mark Cuban, Barbara Corcoran, Kevin O’Leary, Lori Greiner and Chris Sacca.
Chirps Chips are currently available in three flavors, BBQ, Cheddar and Sea Salt. A 3-pack of 5-oz bags is priced at $14.99 (Normally $17.99), while a Snack Size 6-pack of 1.25-oz bags is available for $11.99 (Normally $14.99).
- Sea Salt Chirps Cricket Chips feature all-natural flavors accented with a light sprinkling of salt.
- BBQ Chirps Cricket Chips feature a sweet spicy flavor with hints of smoky oak.
- Cheddar Chirps Cricket Chips feature a zesty cheese flavor that will give your tastebuds a real kick.
All Chirps Cricket Chips are made with a mix of corn, beans, chia seeds, and cricket flour. Each 28g serving (25 chips) packs 4 grams of protein and 130 calories.
A Closer Look
- If you’re in the snacking mood, you can mosey over to Chirps Chips and order a bag or two, or three of flavorful cricket chips
- Chirps Chips is active on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Shark Tank episode 815 airs Friday, January 27, 2017 at 9pm PT/ET on ABC.